A burst pipe is a significant plumbing emergency. When it occurs at your house, you should call the experts as soon as possible to limit the water damage. Even if a leak seems small initially, it can soon develop into a major flood, with hundreds of gallons of water gushing into your home. Call Travis & Sons Plumbing & Rooter for appointments in Gilbert, AZ. We offer A+-rated services.
When you have a clogged pipe that regular methods can’t remove, you need hydro jetting services. Call Travis & Sons Plumbing & Rooter to learn more about it.
Risks of Burst Pipes
A burst pipe can have numerous risks for your home in Gilbert, AZ. Some of the biggest threats you may encounter include:
- Water damage to walls, floors, ceilings, furniture, and other items in the house.
- Growth of mold and mildew.
- Structural damage if the water weakens it.
- Electrical and fire hazards if wiring and other electrical components are exposed.
- Slip and fall risks if there is standing water on the floor.
- Health risks if mold and mildew are starting to grow.
Common Causes of Burst Pipes
- Major clogs: Water pressure can increase when there are significant obstructions in the flow.
- Freezing temperatures: When the temperature drops too low in Gilbert, AZ, the water inside of the pipes can freeze and expand until the pipe eventually bursts.
- Aging pipes: As the years go by, pipes can corrode and get cracks.
- Tree roots: Tree roots can grow and penetrate pipes, breaking them in the process.
- Shift: Pipes may burst due to movement in the ground.
- Construction: If there’s a construction project going on near your pipes, some activities may damage them.
- High pressure: Pipes can burst if there’s a lot of pressure building in them.
To avoid a burst pipe at your house, it’s essential to know a few possible causes so you can take action appropriately. Potential causes can include:
Call Travis & Sons Plumbing & Rooter experts for water line repairs and installations when you have an issue with your main water line.
Steps To Take When You Have a Burst Pipe
When you have a burst pipe at your house, following the right steps to limit the risks is essential. Some steps the experts at Travis & Sons Plumbing & Rooter recommend taking include:
- First, you should turn off the water supply.
- Open the faucets and drains to relieve pressure.
- Use buckets, towels, and mops to collect standing water to prevent it from causing further damage.
- Turn off the electricity to avoid electrical risks.
- Call professionals in Gilbert, AZ, to make the repairs.
- Document the damage for your insurance claims.