How Homeowners Can Avoid Burst Pipes
When a pipe bursts, it can quickly cause massive water damage to a home. This can leave homeowners scrambling to call for emergency plumbing repairs, stop the water, clean up the mess, and assess the damage. Fortunately, homeowners can help prevent burst pipes in their homes by preventing some of the most common reasons why pipes burst.
A clogged pipe can put homes at risk of a burst pipe. A blockage in the pipe can lead to increased pressure in the line, causing it to burst eventually. Homeowners can prevent these from occurring by taking steps to remove clogs or prevent them from forming in the first place. One of the top methods property owners can use is to schedule regular drain cleaning services. During these appointments, plumbers can remove clogs or clean residue and debris from the lines using hydro jet drain cleaning before they form clogs.
Plumbers also suggest that homeowners do the following to avoid clogs:
- Use drain screens over the home’s drains to collect hair, food, and other debris.
- Dispose of food scraps in the trash and not in the kitchen sink – even if homeowners have a garbage disposal.
- When flushing the toilet, only flush toilet paper.
While frozen pipes are more often associated with colder climates, pipe freezing can also occur throughout Arizona. Frozen pipes can be a significant risk to homes, as they can expand and burst, leading to a major plumbing emergency.
To prevent their pipes from freezing, plumbers recommend that property owners perform the following tasks:
- Ensure pipe insulation is in place and check that the insulation is in good condition and doesn’t need to be replaced. If pipes aren’t insulated, insulate the pipes.
- Keep cabinet and interior doors open to allow the heat to reach pipes.
- Maintain a consistent temperature inside the home, and keep the heat on when away from the home or on vacation.
- Disconnect garden hoses and drain the water from the pipes leading to outdoor faucets or hose bibs.
Corrosion and decay can cause pipes to deteriorate, putting them at risk of pipe bursts.
To catch and prevent pipe corrosion before it can cause a burst pipe, plumbers suggest that property owners:
- Schedule pipe repair or repiping services at the first sign of corrosion, including discolored water or water with a strange smell or metallic taste.
- Schedule routine plumbing maintenance and inspections with a plumber so they can catch corrosion early.
- Install a water softener, which removes many minerals in hard water that can contribute to corrosion.
About Travis & Sons Plumbing & Rooter
Travis & Sons Plumbing & Rooter has more than 30 years of experience serving Fountain Hills and the surrounding areas. They provide fast response, 24-hour emergency service, and affordable prices. Call them today for plumbing services and burst pipe repair in Fountain Hills, AZ.